So I was watching the CBS Morning Show last Sunday and they said that married people are happier than any other demographic. So I did some research and found some interesting stats. Keep in mind, they did say MARRIED people, which is different from cohabitation. The promise ofpermanency is what makes marriage more of a beneficial relationship than just simply living together.
- Married men are more successful in work: getting promoted more often, better performance appraisals.
- Married women (without children) earn more money than their single peers: white women 4% more, black women 10% more.
- Longer Life
- Single men have mortality rates that are 250% higher than married men.
- Single women have mortality rates that are 50% higher than married women.
- Having a spouse can decrease your risk for dying from cancer as much as knocking off 10 years of your life.
- Better Mental Health
- Married people report lower levels of depression and distress, and 40% say they are very happy with their lives, compared to about 25% in single people.
- Single men drink twice as much as married men.
- Greater Safety
- Wives are five times less likely than single or divorced women to be victims of crime
- Husbands are four times less likely.
For more details, check out “The Case for Marriage…”